Guinea pigs, also called cavies, are friendly and curious animals. Nonetheless, they require dedication and regular attention to ensure they continue to be healthy and pleased. Keep reading to learn just how to take care of your pocketful of sunlight.
Guinea pigs are sociable pocket animals, are often tamed, and certainly will live for approximately a decade. Their nature that is friendly makes great pets. They’re also extremely intelligent.
Guinea pigs are happiest whenever kept along with other guinea pigs. Nevertheless, when you do keep men and women together, make certain both pets will be the exact same sex or at minimum one sex is desexed.
RSPCA NSW will not recommend maintaining guinea pigs and rabbits together. Rabbits can give conditions to guinea pigs, and so they might bully one another.
Guinea pigs are herbivores. To help keep them happy and the ukrainian bride painting healthy, they want:
- a consistent supply of high quality grass that is fresh lawn hay, such as for example Meadow, Oaten, Pasture, Ryegrass, Timothy or Wheaten hays. This is really important for using straight straight down their teeth that are continuously growing.
- fresh, leafy vegetables and natural herbs each and every day, such as for example broccoli, cabbage (in smaller amounts), celery, endives, Brussel sprouts, bok choy as well as other Asian greens, and lettuce that is dark-leafed; and natural natural herbs such as for instance basil, coriander, dandelion, dill, mint and parsley. Understand that carrot tops should only be offered as a periodic treat.
- little levels of top-quality guinea pig pellets. These needs to have the very least content that is fibre of %.
- A source that is daily of C, such as for example a small amount of citrus and kiwi fruits
- a continuing way to obtain clean, fresh water
Usually do not feed your guinea pig:
- morning meal cereals
- Clover or Lucerne (Alfalfa) hays
- yard bushes
- lily regarding the valley
- pea pea pea nuts
- onion lawn
- potato tops
- natural beans
- rhubarb leaves
- spinich leaves
Guinea pigs require plenty of area to work out – the greater the greater. She should work out each and every day in a sizable, grassy area, free and safe from predators.
You might like to offer your guinea pig with a chewing log made from untreated timber to wear straight down her teeth, and overturned bins to cover in.
Everyday grooming is really important for long-haired guinea pigs, and guarantees their coats stay in good shape. Regular management will additionally assist build her self- confidence, and encourage her to be friendly and sociable.
It’s also wise to check out the amount of your guinea pig’s teeth and toenails. When they are a long time, get the veterinarian to trim them.
Good cleansing and feeding techniques may help avoid many typical health issues, including respiratory infections and epidermis problems.
It is vital to pay for your guinea pig’s hutch by having a flyscreen. Carrying this out, also maintaining her hutch clean, can help avoid flystrike. Long-haired guinea pigs are specially prone to this disorder, that can be deadly.
Guinea pigs, similar to animals, may also be at risk of fleas. Get hold of your veterinarian about a proper flea therapy if required. They could additionally suffer with mite infestations, which could cause disquiet, locks itchiness and loss.
This could be a sign of the fungal disease ringworm, so seek help from a veterinarian immediately if your guinea pig develops bald batches.
To learn more about typical health issues, view here.
Your guinea pig’s enclosure must certanly be a minumum of one metre by 0.7 metres, and 0.7 metres high. They will need double this space if you have two guinea pigs. They are going to likewise require their particular, separate resting areas, which should be covered. You have to fly-proof the enclosure using wire that is flyscreen mosquito netting, since this can help decrease the chance of flystrike.
Line the hutch with paper and soft lawn hay to give padding and steer clear of foot accidents. don’t use sawdust, straw or lumber shavings. Understand that your guinea pig requires a soft, clean, dry area all of the time, or she will quickly develop base dilemmas. Clean her enclosure that is entire regularly and her bedding whenever required – frequently when just about every day.
Keep carefully the hutch in a sheltered area which can be well ventilated, between 18-26°C, and kept away from sunlight and strong winds. She should always have access to shade that is adequate.
Follow this link to learn more about preventing heatstroke.